The cost of raising a child has been estimated to cost $310,605 (adjusted to account for current inflation). While preparing to welcome baby into the world, you start to see why it costs so much. There is so much to buy for such a small, tiny human.
It can be hard to figure out what products are needed and what is just nice to have. After all, much of the cost of raising a child is not in the products we buy for them, but in Housing: 29%, Food: 18%, Childcare/education: 16% Transportation: 15%, Health care: 9%, Miscellaneous: 7%, Clothing: 6%.
So, save your pennies. We’ve put together a list of the five must-have baby products for the first month of parenthood:
- Puj Tub: Our Puj Tub is a soft, foldable bathtub that makes bath time easier and more comfortable for both you and your baby. Its compact design makes it perfect for small spaces and easy to store when not in use. Not only that, but it will also save you the price of a chiropractor later because you use the tub in your bathroom sink not hunched over a big plastic bathtub.
- Bebe au Lait Swaddle Blankets: Swaddling can help calm and soothe your baby, and the Bebe au Lait swaddle blankets are a popular choice. Made from soft, breathable muslin, these blankets are versatile and can be used for swaddling, as a nursing cover, or as a stroller cover. Products that are cute and multi-task help to save money.
- Baby Carrier: A baby carrier allows you to keep your baby close and still have your hands free. There are many different types of baby carriers available, so it's important to find one that's comfortable for both you and your baby.
- Diaper Bag: A good diaper bag is essential for keeping all your baby's necessities organized and easily accessible when you're out and about. Look for a bag with plenty of pockets, and a changing pad. We like a backpack style, with well-padded straps (they can get heavy) that is gender-neutral, so it is easy to trade off with your partner. New parents don’t have time to pack 2 diaper bags.
- Baby Monitor: A baby monitor can give you peace of mind during those times when you can't be in the same room as your baby. Look for a monitor with a clear, high-quality display and features that fit your needs, such as temperature monitoring or two-way communication. As baby gets older it’s fun to listen to them chatter to themselves when they wake up and you don’t have to rush in but can enjoy their post-nap good mood from afar. A good quality monitor is worth the extra expense, you will use it all day, every day for about a year or two. After that, it can be repurposed as a spy camera for the dog.
These are our baby gear tips for new parents - the five baby products we consider to be the newborn essentials for the first month. Enjoy every moment with your newborn. Before you know it, they will be starting to eat into that 18% food allowance.